Saturday, April 07, 2012

G is for Goldenrod

Weeding: You may recall, if you read yesterday's post, that I like yellow and purple flowers.  One of the more controversial yellow flowers in my garden is goldenrod.  I say "controversial" because some will say it is a weed or it is an allergy sufferer's nightmare.  To that, I say, "Pshaw!" (if only because I wanted to type "pshaw")  Goldenrod, latin name Solidago, is a lovely plant, unfairly blamed for hayfever.  It has a nice upright growing habit and adds a soft golden glow of color to the garden.  I have had mine for several years and it has not spread or reseeded to other parts of the yard or even other parts of the garden bed it is in.  It is associated with hayfever because it blooms around the same time as ragweed, a very common seasonal allergen.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  I would like more of it, myself.  I can't find the photos of my goldenrod but check this one out instead.  Even lovelier than mine.


 
Until we weed again,
Hallie

4 comments:

Laura S. said...

Hi, Hallie! Goldrenrod looks beautiful. I'm always using that Crayola crayon, too, LoL! :)

Hope you had a great weekend and happy A to Z!!

Lynn Proctor said...

i adore goldenrod--simply gorgeous!

Mimi said...

there are a lot of weeds that I like as well.
Also a lot of the flowers that have been imported have become weeds where I live.

I am glad I found your A to Z blog
you are now in my reader.

Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

Mimi said...

hmm, strangely your blog is not set up to have a "feed" so I cannot follow you with my google reader!!


Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...