Friday, April 06, 2012

F is for Forsythia and Floss flower

Weeding: The flowers in my garden tend to be shades of purple and yellow. I also have sections of red but I really like purple and yellow. E says it is for the Minnesota Vikings. I say not. I just like 'em. Early in the spring, among the first plants to bloom in my yard is the forsythia. It first gets the flowers, the branches covered with yellow petals, then the leaves come.  It, like everything else this year, bloomed even earlier than usual.  The photos were taken probably a week after it first bloomed so you can see the leaves starting to come in.  Our first forsythia was an anniversary give from my mom.  I forgot to plant it.  It died in the pot (sorry, Mom!), so I bought a new one and it has done quite well right outside the front door.  In the photo below, Oscar steps outside to pose with the yellow shrub.  Isn't he handsome?

Forsythia and Oscar, a study in warm colors
Floss flower also starts with F.  I don't plant many annuals anymore.  I am too lazy and too cheap but I do like floss flowers.  They get piles of fuzzy little purple flowers.  Grow them as a border or container.  I think they come in taller varieties too, but I like the shorter mounding type.  They are quite heat tolerant, though I have seen some of them fry when they grew too close to the asphalt driveway.

And there you have it - 2 new plants to add to your F garden.  'Cuz I know you have your garden alphabetized.

Until we weed again,
Hallie

1 comment:

Lynn Proctor said...

haha yeah i don't even have any new flowers and i don't think after this writing exercise, i will ever want to do anything in a to z order!! wonderful colors you have!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...