Monday, April 02, 2012

B is for Boltonia


Close up boltonia (with bearded iris leaves)
Weeding: One of my favorite plants is a little gem called "Boltonia".  I discovered it in one of my favorite gardening books (Perennials for Minnesota and Wisconsin by Don Engebretson and Don Williams) and bought it at a local nursery.  It gets loads of little light purple daisy-like flowers on it and thrives in my heavy clay soil with virtually no help from me.  I have it on the west side of my garage which doesn't get sun until afternoon, but then it gets the hot hot heat.  It never wilts, I don't water it, I haven't seen any pests or mildew bother it, the deer do not eat it.  In short, it is this lazy gardener's dream  Plant some this year and see if it doesn't just cheer up a dreary patch of your garden. 


Boltonia in the background, with asters in front



Boltonia, with threadleaf coreopsis in the back


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God it wasn't about Michael Bolton! Think I will try some Boltonia this year if I can find it here! My west flower garden needs self sufficient plants.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hallie - I think you're the only person I know who's favorite flower is Boltonia! :)
I've also had a craving for all things apple lately, so Apple Cake may just be on the horizon!
Kate

Shelley said...

I have never heard of this plant before! I'll have to check it out, since it seems pretty hardy.

Kern Windwraith said...

I have got to get me some of that Boltonia! My thumb is about as green as a blueberry, so I need all the help I can get!

Love the photos.

Jessica L. Celaya said...

That's a pretty flower and if it's easy, that makes it even better. Thanks for posting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...