Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Upside Down and Fried

Eating: One of predictions for 2013 involved trying a new recipe each month.  February flew by with a plan, but the new recipe did not happen.  In March, I made 2 new things and am just now telling you about them in April.  I am feeling a bit over-extended lately, a little turned upside-down and fried.  Just like my 2 recipes.

The plan for February was to try the Five-Ingredient Pineapple Upside-Down Cake recipe from my Weight Watchers Weekly dated January 27-February 2.  This is the little 12 page magazine-y thing they hand out when I weigh in and go to the meetings.  Then while waiting for the meeting to start, I page through and check out the tips, ideas and recipes.  I should tell you that the meeting I have been going to is at 5pm and the WW center is next door to Dominoes Pizza so I do spend a fair amount of the meeting thinking about food.  I actually think about food a lot of the day, whether or not I am going to Weight Watchers.  Here is the recipe and my photos of the process.  It was simple and tasty.  The recipe as written says serves 10 and is 4 PointsPlus per serving.  Because it is easier to cut into 8 than it is in 10, we made it 8 servings for 5 PointsPlus per serving.  You could make it 4 servings for 10 points each or eat it all and count 40 points.  Whatever you do is between you and your tracker. 

The recipe said to use a "round 9" flameproof aluminum pan" which I thought was too many adjectives to describe a pan.  And I didn't know if mine was flameproof so I used my oven-safe frying pan that happens to be about 9" across, round and flameproof.  It worked splendidly. E and I agreed this cake would be best served slightly warm. 

Five-Ingredient Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

the five ingredients
1/4 C. unsalted butter, divided
1/4 C. packed light brown sugar
3/4 lb. canned pineapple rings in juice, 1/4 C. juice reserved
1 large egg
1/4 lb. vanilla cake mix, about 1 scant cup (FYI, a cake mix is about a pound which means from one box, you can make this 4 times.  For a total of 160 points, which is more than I care to eat in a day.)

Preheat oven to 375. 


Melt 2 T. butter in round 9" flameproof aluminum pan (or similar) over medium-low heat (make sure to cover entire pan bottom); sprinkle sugar over top.  Carefully place pineapple rings in a single layer in bottom of pan (use 7 rings).  Increase heat to medium-high and cook until pineapple caramelizes (isn't that just a yummy word??), flipping once, about 2 minutes per side; remove pan from heat.

mmmmm... caramelizing
Melt remaining 2 T. butter on stovetop or in microwave.  In medium-size bowl (or whatever you melted the butter in), beat egg with the melted butter.  Add cake mix and reserved pineapple juice; combine well. 

pour the batter and then bake
Pour batter over pineapple; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.  Allow cake to cool for about 15-20 minutes; when still warm, loosen sides with a knife (f needed - my pan was non-stick so I didn't) and invert cake onto a serving plate.  Slice and serve. 

The finished cake - Delicious!

The second "recipe" we made in March was my first-ever attempt at fried rice.  One day we had Honey-Hoisin Pork Tenderloin and brown rice.  The next day, the leftovers were combined with a little soy sauce, some ginger, and a whole pile of veggies (we used pea pods, julienned carrots, and water chestnuts) but no eggs (someone doesn't like eggs and I can live without them in my fried rice also).  It was very good and quite filling.  I don't really have a recipe other than chop it all up and cook in the wok until it looks hot and done.  I had a picture of it to show you, but cannot locate the device with which I took the picture.  Dang. It looked really good.  When I find it, I will post.

Until we eat again,
Hallie

P.S., I am not doing the A-Z Challenge this year due to aforementioned feelings of over-extended, frazzled and fried.  I invite you to check out the challenge and browse a few of the blogs who are participating. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...