Sunday, October 02, 2011

Reading: I finished P&P today, in plenty of time to lead the discussion tonight at bookclub. I liked it better the more I read, but it was a tough one for me, I must admit.  If I had not selected it myself, I may not have been motivated enough to finish.  It was hard to read and seemed to put me to sleep.  I can usually read for at least a half hour (many hours if really into the book) before I go to sleep but this one I struggled to read more than a couple of pages before my eyes were closing.  And I had to re-read things to understand them.  So overall, even though my version was only 262 pages, it took me the entire month to read it. 
Anyway, I liked it more than I thought I would.  And when I discovered on SparkNotes that someone had blogged P&P as if it were a teen novel, I got sucked into that and had to read it all too.

I am probably not going to finish Girl with Tattoo in time for the other bookclub, seeing as I have not yet obtained a copy of the book and we meet in less than 2 weeks.  I will try though. 

Eating:  I have a roast in the oven tonight.  It smells SOOOO good!  I brown the roast in a bit of olive oil, getting a nice crust on each side, after salting and peppering it well.  Then add a large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 large onion, 2 stalks of celery, 2-3 large carrots, 4-5 medium potatoes, a couple cloves of garlic, a couple sprigs of rosemary, some thyme and 2 bay leaves, 1 C. water.  The veggies are all cut into chunks.  I cook it at 325 in a covered Dutch oven for 3 hours.  Then we shred or slice the roast (it is so tender it is usually just easier to shred it), serve with the veggies and the sauce (almost the flavor of a marinara), and a little crusty bread.
Timer just buzzed so off to dinner.

Until we eat again,
Hallie

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...