Saturday, June 02, 2007

Gardening: When I was at Camp Amnicon last weekend for a work weekend, one of my jobs (the one I really liked doing) was planting. I planted the annuals and tomatoes the director had purchased and then, because she asked me to, I sprayed them with Liquid Fence to help keep the deer and rabbits from eating them all. It smells like rotten ass. When I told her I would come back next year and do the planting again, she said she was going to look into plants that are deer resistant. I told her I have a list or two and would e-mail them to her. I have to do that soon but thought I would share with you, in case you have a problem with deer treating your flower beds as a salad bar.

Some of these are plants that I have actually had good experience with (indicated with a *) and others are just on lists I got from Bachman's and somewhere else (Lynde or Fair's probably). In general, plants that are prickly, fuzzy or smell strongly are ones the deer avoid. The Latin names are in parentheses in some cases. Some common names can apply to more than one type of plant and are sometimes confusing so I like to note the Latin name when I can.

Annuals: *Floss Flower (Ageratum) , Calendula, Cleome, Dahlia, *Dusty Miller, Flax, Forget-me-not, *Geranium,*Heliotrope, Lantana, *Lobelia, *Marigolds, Mint, *Morning Glory, *Parsley, *Polka-dot plant, *Salvia (though another list I have says deer like this one), *Snapdragons, *Sweet Alyssum, *Verbena, Wax Begonia, *Zinnia

Perennials: *Yarrow (Achillea), Monkshood (Aconitum), *Bugleweed (Ajuga), Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla) , Alkanet, *Allium, Anemone, *Columbine (Aquilegia), *Wormwood (Artemesia), Goatsbeard (Aruncus), *Butterfly weed (Asclepias), *Aster, *Astilbe, Barronwort, *Bellflowers (Campanula), Turtleheads (Chelone), *Clematis, *Coreopsis, Daffodil, Delphinium, Chrysanthemums (Dendranthema), *Bleeding Heart (Dicentra), Dianthus, *Foxglove (Digitalis), Purple Coneflower (Echinacea), Globe Thistle (Echinops), Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium), Meadowsweet (Filipendula), *Gaillardia, *Hardy Geranium, Baby's Breath (Gypsophila), *Coral Bells (Heuchera), Iris, Lavender, *Shasta Daisy (Leucanthemum), *Ligularia, Lupine (Lupinus), *Mint/Catmint, Beebalm (Monarda), *Peony, Oriental Poppies (Papaver), *Russian Sage (Perovskia), *Phlox, Balloon Flower (Platycodon), Jacob's Ladder (Polemonium), *Lungwort (Pulmonaria), *Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia), Meadow Sage, *Hen and Chicks (Sempervivum), *Lamb's Ears (Stachys), Meadow Rue (Thalictrum), Creeping Thyme, Speedwell (Veronica), *Vinca; *Ferns; Yucca; Ornamental Grasses including Karl Foerster, Blue Fescue, Silver Feather, Shenandoah and Little Bluestem.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...