Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Reading: I just found 2 more books that I could be reading! I have such a pile of books now to read but none are beckoning me. These 2 are ones that I have borrowed from other people who probably want them back sometime, don't you Deb?

Eating: The Easy Pasta Skillet last night was good. E gave it the rating, "good, I would request it again, but not on a Sunday." Let me explain the rating system: "I would not eat it if you made it again" is the lowest rating. "I would eat it if you made it again" is a slightly higher rating. "I would request it" is a more encouraging endorsement. And "I would request it on a Sunday" meaning it is good and worthy of serving to guests.

Here's the very simple recipe: Brown 1 lb ground beef in a large skillet and drain. Add 2 1/2 C. water and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low. Stir in 3 C. pasta (they say mostaccioli, I used penne); cover. Simmer 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in 1 jar of spaghetti sauce and 1 C. shredded mozzarella (Kraft.com says to use Kraft cheese, I used Crystal Farms. I am probably going to Kraft hell now.). Sprinkle more mozzarella and 1/2 C. grated Parmesan (I cut back on some of this cheese 'cuz we don't need more cheese in our lives.). Cover and cook 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Only one pan to clean and no need to drain the noodles (like Hamburger Helper but hopefully a little less sodium).

Tonight is Cashew Chicken from the Pampered Chef Casual Cooking Cookbook.

Gardening: Mrs. Quackers is now incubating her eggs. We gave her a dish of cracked corn yesterday which freaked her out (she was freaked by us giving her the dish, not the corn itself) and she waddled over in front of the steps and pretended to be dead until she was sure we were gone. She has not yet eaten any corn. I hope she doesn't die of starvation. I don't want to raise these ducklings myself. I can't swim.

Today I peeked out the window to check on her and she was carefully turning the eggs. Then she bustled up her skirts and settled back in, pulling the wood chip nest in around her with her beak, as if pulling the comforter up on her bed. She fussed with the wood chips until they were just right, then tucked her head around backwards (looking back at her behind) and appeared to go to sleep. I have this idea that she is bored and maybe would like something to read while she sits. Any recommendations? Maybe "What to expect when you're expecting"? "Make Way for Ducklings"?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...