Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Reading: Nothing to report here today. I am in the middle of 2 books and will write about them when I finish. One that I look forward to reading is called " Prodigal Sons & Material Girls: How Not to be Your Child's ATM" by Nathan Dungan. I read about it in the Thrivent Magazine and then the next day in the St. Olaf Magazine. I have a connection to the author--he is my husband's cousin's wife's brother (I didn't say it was a close connection) and he also used to work at Thrivent Financial back when we were Lutheran Brotherhood (ah, the good old days!). He was VP of marketing and often spoke about the "Share, Save, Spend" philosophy. He has now written this book discussing that and more.

Eating: We made this recipe for the second time last night. The first time, I ended up with pasta sauce all over my white shirt (yes, it is still there after 3 washings including bleach) and all over the kitchen. Apparently, I am blonder than I appear because I shook the jar after I had loosened the lid. Anyway, here is Cheesy Beef Spirals. It tastes a lot like lasagna but is a little easier to make and you won't have a huge pan of lasagna to eat for a week. Brown 1lb ground beef (the recipe says 2 lbs but that is just too much meat) with 1 clove of garlic, freshly pressed, and 1 small onion chopped. Stir in 1 26oz jar of spaghetti sauce, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook 2 cups rotini (spiral) pasta and drain. In a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish, spread 1/2 C. of the meat sauce. Then layer 1/2 of the pasta, then 1/2 C. sour cream. Next, spread over 1/2 of the remaining sauce, the rest of the pasta and then a layer of cubed Velveeta (1/2 lb). Spread the remaining sauce and top with 2 C. shredded Mozarella (this may be too much, in my opinion). Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. Serve with garlic bread (we buy the pre-sliced frozen garlic bread and make a couple slices at a time in the toaster oven) and a green salad. It is very filling and we have leftovers for at least 2 more meals so I would say it serves 6-8. This recipe is also from the cookbook I got from Thrivent and I am happy to report I did not throw any sauce across the kitchen this time!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...